Register here. Speakers: Dr. Karen Crews – ACT Center Dr. Edith Smith-Rayford – Central Mississippi Health Services Jo Wardell – MS Quitline Description: This training will focus on the impact of
Dr. Karen Crews – ACT Center
Dr. Edith Smith-Rayford – Central Mississippi Health Services
Jo Wardell – MS Quitline
This training will focus on the impact of tobacco on women’s health and provider intervention methods, the referral process to the Mississippi Quitline, and portal access/operation. The medical marijuana program’s status, pending legislation, and schedule of when medical marijuana will be available for patients will also be discussed.
- Understand the various tobacco products marketed to women beyond traditional cigarettes, cigars, and smokeless tobacco.
- Gain knowledge regarding the health effects of tobacco use and evidence-based practices that can be utilized in a busy clinical setting to intervene and provide support to women who use tobacco products.
- Identify problems that may develop in babies from mothers who use tobacco products during pregnancy.
- Identify negative impacts of marijuana use during pregnancy.
- Identify harmful effects of smoking on women of childbearing age.
- Understand the risk of tobacco use and the benefits of quitting for women.
- Understand how to deliver a tobacco intervention.
- Understand and use effective communication techniques for addressing tobacco with women.
- Learn how to make referrals to the Mississippi Tobacco Quitline and other appropriate resources.
3.0 contact hours will be awarded for nursing
“This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the Mississippi Nurses Foundation, Inc., an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.”
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the Community Health Center Association of MS (CHCAMS). The Community Health Center Association of Mississippi is accredited by the Mississippi State Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CHCAMS designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
(Thursday) 11:00 am - 2:00 pm