CHCAMS provides assistance to support member CHCs with recruiting and retaining qualified health professionals to ensure access to care for the medically underserved and uninsured in Mississippi. Our CHCs are seeking dedicated primary care clinicians to provide quality health care to those in need across the state.
Recruitment & Retention
Recruitment and retention is very important for Community Health Centers. The following lins can be used to enhance recruitment and retention efforts, and also in training CHC staff to be more prepared and involved in this process:
National Health Service Corps: The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) help recruit and retain qualified health care clinicians who care about underserved people and choose to work where they are needed most.Federally qualified health centers are NHSC-approved sites where dentists, dental hygienists, primary care physicians, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, physician assistants, and mental health professionals who are eligible for loan repayment funding or have received scholarships can fulfill their service obligation.
- NHSC Site Reference Guide: The new NHSC Site Reference Guide, is now available on the NHSC website – NHSC Site Reference Guide. The purpose of this resource is to provide clarity on site eligibility requirements, qualification factors, compliance, roles and responsibilities, and other information related to becoming or continuing as an NHSC approved site.
- The National Health Service Corp (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program
- The Students to Service debt analysis infographic has been recently created to help explain the benefits of this program. It shows how with the Students to Service award, 2015 graduating medical students can greatly reduce their medical school debt by more than 50 percent. If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact the Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393, from Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., ET (except federal holidays).
- NHSC Loan Repayment Program Application Cycle – The NHSC website has released the Application Cycle for 2016. You will find more information and key dates on the NHSC website. HRSAtube has an informational video Factors for Determining an NHSC Award and the Northeast MS AHEC and Mississippi State University provides a summary of Health Professional Shortage (HPSA) Areas Defined and Summarized as a review of the greatest healthcare infrastructure needs in Mississippi.
- Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program : In 2007, the Mississippi Legislature created the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program, creating a unique longitudinal program that identifies rural college students who aspire to return to their roots to practice medicine. Academic enrichment, faculty and physician mentoring plus solid medical school financial support through the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program enables capable young Mississippians to address the challenge of Mississippi’s healthcare crisis.
Office of Rural Health and Primary Care: The Primary Care Office is located in the office of Rural Health and Primary Care at the Mississippi State Department of Health. The Primary Care Office ensures that efforts are undertaken to address the availability of primary care services for underserved residents in the State of Mississippi.